Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Upcycling



When i first chose to upcycle the tin can into a product of value, i knew that i wanted a piece that was of beauty and use, but was also attached to the wall. The fact that it had to be a useful product, a bookshelf felt like an adequate solution.

First i examined the properties of a can. The ribs on the exterior, the ability to stack, etc and what most stood out to me was the different colours of the interiors of the cans. e.g baked bean cans had an orange interior, others were gold, or white, or silver.Immediately i knew that i had to incorporate this into the bookshelf as a main feature.

Then came the challenge of how to arrange the cans in an aesthetically pleasing way. I wanted to maintain a simple, uncluttered look by using minimal cans, but the challenge was getting the strength from the cans that i needed without going overboard with the number of cans i used. After testing several ways of arranging the cans, the final design seemed the best.

The final design was also affected by the way in which i linked the cans. This was done by pop riveting the sides. But to maintain strength i had to alternate the cans top to toe as to get rivets in either end. The rivets also allowed for a natural curve to form which also influenced the final design. Other options such as glue and slotting the cans within each other were also explored but issues arose as the glue would give way under any form of intense pressure, and the slotting didn't allow for the cans to sit flush against the wall.

Overall i was a bit worried how the final product looked, but then i placed the books on it and they make it look much better which was a relief. The shelf held the books steady and was able to maintain the weight, as once it is attached to the wall it becomes a very strong shelf.

Peer Comments

Danielle Taouk
Alissa Sanders
Guida Arezzi
Jonathan Biet
Susanna Li

5 comments:

  1. Well done! I quit like your design. The shape of your product is like a smiling face, this really gives me a good mood and when you put your books on, I find it amazing, so nice when i look at it from a distance.
    I just wonder will this product can be easily cleaned^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. when i first saw your design somehow it reminds me a moment of my childhood. you did an awesome job by connecting the cans together into a bookshelf without changing any characteristics of the can. i think your bookshelf can be improve by having all sorts of colour and sizes of tin cans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I walked to the end of the room where this product was displayed, my eye was immediately drawn to it. I think its great! It is definitely something I would have in my study as a playful element.
    The only improvement I can think of is to make the colour of the interior of the cans stand out more, make them have a larger impact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that the shape of the can is remained still was the first thing that surprised me. It would've been better if it was in different coulors like rainbow perhaps. This is something that anyone can make it anywhere anytime they want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both your idea and the final design, looks really fresh because I've never seen something like that before. Other than putting books on it, you can also put things into the cans, which is another advantage. The making of it doesn't seem like a lot of effort, which means it can be easily manufactured. But I'm a bit worried if the can rims would be sharp and therefore dangerous..

    ReplyDelete